A perpetual lesson learned on February 1.
Viewing entries in
So I am a year older today. I intentionally went into #flotationtherapy today to reflect on all the blessings God has afforded me. I love people...genuinely. More than you’d think made sense. God uses my alone time and people to enlighten and bless me #ambivert. So i dedicate this next rotation around the sun to the people who have helped me rotate this far and to the people I’ve yet to meet who will help it keep going. I love myself...all by myself, AND I love who I am with the fantastic humans I’ve been blessed to live my life with. Thank you for going on this journey with me. To my God, thank YOU for life, love, grace, and mercy. I promise to make you proud. Here’s to 28.
I am grateful for...
1. God never letting me go, even when I momentarily let Him go.
2. #SaintJules, my mother, my confidante for the life she lived in her past that taught me so much about the present and future.
3. My Daddy for always having an encouraging word, rapping the 15-minute version of "Rappers' Delight" with me and passing on his cool on to me.
4. My younger brother MKG for surpassing my cool (therefore our dad's cool) and keeping the whole family on our toes with his creativity and curious personality.
5. My extended family in Maryland, DC and Welch, WV that love and support me through the distance; the line dancing and karaokee performances complete with beatboxing and air guitars; the storytelling and pointless arguments that pick up right where we left off whenever we are together.
6. My best girlfriends who inspire, motivate and keep me grounded... and listen to my fits :)
7. My best guyfriends who challenge my perspective, break guy code for me and are willing to protect me like the older brothers I never had.
8. North Carolina A&T State University for instilling pride in my biological history, school culture and responsibility to those who will come behind me.
9. My students and mentees for teaching me just as much as I have taught you and for being a guiding light to my life's purpose.
10. My mentors who have poured their wisdom into me (and connections into my phone contacts) and for being the voice of clarity in my whirlwind of ideas.
I am grateful for all my experiences, the people who contribute to them and lessons learned from them.
My birthday is here and I'm reflecting over what is most important to me as I enter into another year of life and get a jump start on the upcoming calendar year.
Children are impressionable and naturally want to make their parents happy. What you get excited about is what will motivate them most.